It’s elementary. Kevin Jennings believes the only way to keep children safe is to teach them about tolerance. He wants to teach tolerance by teaching elementary school children about gay lifestyles.
“It’s Elementaryis the most important film dealing with LGBT issues and safe schools ever made. It took a topic that was mystifying to many people and made it real, inspiring an entire generation of educators to see how they could make a difference…. No other film has had a bigger impact on LGBT issues in the schools.” —Kevin Jennings, executive director, Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network
The main problem with this agenda is the fact that Kevin Jennings has a complete disregard for the parents of these children. Most parents do not want anything sexual discussed with their children in elementary school. These are discussions that should be happening between parents and children to ensure the parents/family morals and religious guidelines are at the forefront of the discussion. Parents do not lose their right to parent because their children are in public schools.
In addition, his focus does not seem to be on all children – only gay children – which by his own estimates are approximately 7% of school age children. What about the other 93%?
In a 2006 interview with Salon, Jennings said:
“I always remind myself that Americans have all been raised to pledge allegiance to the ideal of liberty and justice for all. And eventually the disconnect between how we treat some people and those ideals becomes so overwhelming that the majority of Americans will say, “Enough, this has to stop.” That’s what led to the end of slavery, that’s what led to suffrage, that’s what led to the civil rights movement — it’s when people have the disconnect between the American reality and American ideals shoved in their face to the point they can no longer take it. That’ll happen on this issue too, no doubt in my mind.”
This is an interesting pick for Obama if you look back at his comments regarding Bush’s pick of James Holsinger as Surgeon General.
President Obama, I have serious reservations about nominating someone who would inject his own pro-gay ideology into critical decisions about the health and well-being of our children.